Monday, December 22, 2008

My Confession.

You know when you first meet a person, or catch up with an old high school buddy and you know that inevitable question is going to come... "So what are you doing with your life these days?" 

Not that there's anything wrong with it, because I know that I always ask. And for the most part I am honestly curious about what they are doing. It's nice to hear that someone is doing well or that they're happy.

My answer is always the same, "Oh. I'm in PR/Marketing." Problem is, that's not what I want to say. I wish I could say what I'm really thinking. What I'm really doing with my life. "Oh. I'm a dreamer." 

I'm constantly thinking, dreaming, wanting and wishing about the next thing that's going to lead me to easy street. I find myself waking up in the middle of the night with ideas and thoughts. I'm going to start keeping a notepad beside my bed. 

I was talking to my husband yesterday and mentioned this little 'problem' I'm having. He was supportive and said, "Well, hopefully by the time you're 30 one of these dreams will pan out." 

I know my problem. I've just never wanted to say it out loud. Maybe now is the time? 

My ideas are good. My business work. I push and push and usually I succeed. And then... when the slightest thing goes wrong, when business slows down, when another idea comes up, when I get distracted, when money isn't coming..... I panic and stop. 

There, I said it. I'm hoping my confession will get me an Amen. I know I'm not the only one out there with this problem. Or am I? 


2 comments:

  1. I like this post a lot. I also work in PR/Marketing, but I see it more as a place to learn than where I will be long term. I have been having a lot of very encouraging discussions with friends lately about dreaming and pushing yourself towards bigger things. Push towards our passions. Dream up big ideas. Work really hard to move forward.

    Please don't give up. Keep dreaming (and working really hard to make those dreams happen).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the encouragement and letting me know I'm not alone.
    I find that surrounding myself with other 'dreamers' and those who have been able to turn a dream into a reality - really motivates me.

    It's tough though, sometimes I feel silly and keep my thoughts to myself so that I don't have to here... "There goes Rachel again with another idea."

    Thank you again, I'll keep going and so should you. Feel free to share anything you like with me!

    ReplyDelete