Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Inspiration in Social Media

Last night I was inspired.

I was asked/offered to be one of the ignite speakers at the Refresh Events Ignite event last night. Let me start off by sharing a lesson I learned. When presenting DO NOT try to memorize a speech, I tried to memorize my speech and ended up not being able to "wing" it because all that kept popping into my head was paragraphs from my speech. Be confident in yourself and pick a topic you're interested and use notes as reference points!
In any case, you learn from everything you do. So lesson learned.

With that being said, before my presentation I was delivered some discouraging news. Just a decision that did not go my way. It definitely delivered a blow to my confidence and it was quite hard standing up in front of a crowd (attempting to be confident) after that. But as they say, the show must go on. I finished my speech and sat down to listen to the rest, that's when my frown turned upside down. ;) I was inspired. By the people I met, the speakers I heard and the amount of talent we have in this city. Amazing ideas, passionate individuals and such accomplishments. It was so inspiring and yes, refreshing to be amongst a crowd of people who were excited about the future and who were full of positive vibes, especially with all the negativity in the world today.

I spoke about whether or not social media was making us anti-social. I don't think I even needed to present - I think that last night was proof in itself how social media is forming our future and allowing us to reach a whole new level of 'social'. The social experiences that I've, well, experienced have been nothing short of incredible. Not only have I made new, wonderful, supportive friends - I am inspired on a daily basis by YOU.

So a big thank you to Justin and Elaine at Refresh Events for putting together such an exciting evening. And to the presenters, Erin Bury from Red Wire, Saul Colt from Freshbooks, Kieran Huggins from MyTTC, Noah Godfrey from GigPark, Leila Boujnane from Idee Inc and Peter Flaschner for his passionate presentation on PASSION!

Off to discover and develop my passion!

1 comment:

  1. Nice story. And yes, I agree, never try to remember your speech! You just need to have bullet points to structure your speech; then you just need to let it flow!

    ReplyDelete